1. Someone who speaks foul language, it is certain that in his heart he thinks thoughts of sin.
2. Through foul language comes flattery.
3. From the sin of foul language, troubles and [evil] decrees are renewed, and the young men of Israel die, G-d forbid, and orphans and widows cry out and are not answered.
4. One who defiles his speech, even if they have sealed for him a decree of seventy years for good, they reverse it to bad. Also, they deepen Hell for him. This also applies to one who hears [such speech] and remains silent.
5. More stringent is one who speaks verbally than the one who performs an action.